Post tips & tricks to maximize & optimize earnings.

WiFi Cutting Out From Too Many Devices

Katherine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:03 pm

I have Cox internet preferred. Last years router dual band (I don't have model in front of me). And I have about 27 devices connected in all. Customer care told me to buy a new router with "more channels". And to put devices onto a different frequency or whatever?Another lady told us we need to buy higher speed internet which is ridiculous. I'm not quite sure what to do, and I'm going to be getting 5 more devices not for making money but WiFi security cameras...I also want to be able to add 5 more for leg room in the future. So 10 more devices. I want to do this low budget ($100 max) if I can't fix it with what I have now. Thanks, Kat.

Katherine » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:03 am

Anyone?

Grimreaper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:09 am

Add a second router. Put half on each router. That's what I do and I'm at 40 devices. I use dual band routers and put farm phones on 2.4G channel and use 5G channel for iPads, computers and Netflix.someone else may have a better idea but I thought this might help.

Katherine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Okay, would a cheap $20 router that only has 2.4G capability be okay?

Katherine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Actually here is the router in question - NETGEAR N150 RangeMax WiFi Router (WNR1000) it's from Walmart.com :P And here's the url: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-N150 ... r/11084824

Grimreaper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:06 am

I use Asus dual band. About 100 dollars. I use the 2.4G for cheap phones and use the 5G for phones and computers that can run on that channel. I don't know what your internet speed is but in my town Comcast bussiness class is like 89 dollars with no data cap and has a high bandwidth to support device load. I'm just letting you know how I have my setup so someone may have a better idea and if they do I may try it myself if it's low budget.

jaredk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:55 pm

How many devices can you run before things start cutting out?

You should be fine with getting another cheap router and just splitting your device load between the two routers, like Grimreaper said.

I will note that you want to make sure that you set up the new router just like a router but place the wifi on another channel other than your original router. You also want to connect the new routers WAN port into the original routers lan port. You should configure the new router to be a different local ip address subset. For example your original router probably is accessible via 192.168.1.1. You'll want to set your new router to respond to 192.168.2.1 so they don't interfere or cause issues with one another.

Personally, I purchased a beafy ASUS router and have two cheaper routers that I connected into it (192.168.2.1 & 192.168.3.1). I place all of my beermoney devices on both cheaper routers and allow my house hold devices to have access on the main router.

Hope this helps. Keep making that money.

Katherine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:51 am

Thanks, that does help. A little too technical for me though lol, my partner may know about switching the ip's. If not then there's always youtube. :) We have about 25ish devices connected atm with wifi cutting out. The last 5 phones I added last year caused it to do it, so I will have to add those phones and my 4 wifi security cameras to the other

jaredk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I would highly recommend adding your beermoney devices to the second device (192.168.2.1) and have your security cameras and personal devices on the main network (192.168.1.1). Reason being so that you can easily access the network cameras and devices.

Katherine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:14 am

Are there any instructional videos or websites that tell me how to connect the 2 routers? I have no idea how to do this

jaredk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Search YouTube for the following query: connecting two routers to one modem

There are a ton of useful tutorials there that should help you. I can't recommend just one because each one explains it in their own way. Find one that you understand and can follow.

Good Luck

Katherine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Ok I managed to set it up after an hour or so -.- Lol, there were no guides that were specific, I used a wiki how to page, which was sort of helpful. I ended up farting around with it at the end to get it to work. Now the issue is the Wifi signal isn't strong enough to reach my phones on the other end of the house. I thought being it's already been connected through wire, I could take my router and just plug it into a wall and it would work. Well it wouldn't (don't laugh). I didn't bother changing the IP address cause I'm pretty sure my main one is a different one anyways. Any ideas on how to get around this? I thought about buying a wifi extender thing, or the only other thing I could think about is moving all 10 of my phones closer to the router but that's a lot of work and well, this apartment doesn't have 3 prong outlets in the walls I would move them to (most of them) so that sucks.

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:28 am

I ended up buying a new router from Walmart - and it's still cutting out now. 5 devices won't even connect to it. My question is, with about 25 devices connected, and premier cox internet (150mps speed I think you call it, which is like $60 a month), do I HAVE to upgrade again? Cause this is getting ridiculous. Any way about getting this fixed? Idk about other people, but it doesn't sound right to pay over $100 a month on internet alone to have 25-30 devices connected. What is everyone else doing? PS. I noticed my internet is a tad slower and netflix also. Everything is basically connected to the 2.4ghz internet via 2 routers.

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 am

Also, Cox is only 150 upload speed, but a different download speed, much lower. I may have the reversed here, I'm not a techy. Does that make a huge difference? Is that the problem?

jaredk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:44 am

For the amount that you spent on the router at Walmart I would recommend returning it and checking out slickdeals for a router from Newegg or Amazon.

I use 80/12 Mbps internet here and everything runs completely fine. I even run a dedicated bittorrent server so your speed shouldn't be affecting you if you have 150 Mbps download. With beermoney websites upload speeds shouldn't have any effect. Most likely your issue is just the router not performing well.

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Both of them? My main one started disconnecting devices once I added more. My new one won't let me add more/ connect more than 5 devices and after adding the 5 on it , I noticed everything slowed a lot. Just got done with paying cox bill and they keep saying to upgrade and increase my speed

jaredk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Of course they are saying that because they want you to pay them more. That has nothing to do with it if you have 150 Mbps like you said.

Sounds to me like you have piece of **** routers. How much did you spend on them at Walmart?

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm

The second one I just bought was for $20 on sale, I am only using that for my 2.4ghz network. My main one I bought last year (or 2) for about $200, it's this one here: Netgear C6300BD. I was thinking about upgrading but not sure where to start. I heard something about more channels is recommended. If not, what do you suggest, that will hold at least 30 devices? I have 4 security cameras also, but they only record when motion is detected.

jaredk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Your main router should be able to run 10 devices or more. The secondary device, if the before sale price was 50 or under I'd return it.

Start by checking your internet speed at speed test.net and speedof.me

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Okay, I did, and I found out my internet package is 50 not 150, not sure where I got that from. But it's at the right speed (58mbps). I ended up calling customer support to check the correct internet speed. They also said no matter what speed internet, if you have a lot of devices connected it will slow it down. And that my router here can only take like 7 devices, but I have more connected to it. Do I need to upgrade my modem/router I have now? Cause if my internet speed is going to what it's supposed to, then why are things disconnecting/not connecting. So frustrating

Katherine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Or do I not upgrade my main one, but upgrade my secondary router. For some reason it won't let me connect more than 5 devices to it (authentication error). It's a netgear also, G54/N150 model

Katherine » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't have Dsl

Katherine » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:01 pm

It's Cox internet

Katherine » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 pm

I returned the $20 router, I will be buying a more expensive one later on, maybe in the next week or 2

Katherine » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 am

If I end up buying a new router and it lags my internet so bad again I'm gonna flip lol