Post tips & tricks to maximize & optimize earnings.

How many modems or routers?

crowngem1990 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:59 pm

I have 3 running phones at the moment, plus a computer running off Comcast Internet (highest speed)
And I have one $40 router. Should I have more than one router if I plan on having more phones? I'm getting at least two more with the week. It seems to be slower on my end, but maybe it's just me.

Nygaard9456 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:28 am

No you only need one

jaredk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I have 3 running phones at the moment, plus a computer running off Comcast Internet (highest speed)
And I have one $40 router. Should I have more than one router if I plan on having more phones? I'm getting at least two more with the week. It seems to be slower on my end, but maybe it's just me.
There's no reason why you would need more routers or modems. Modems bring the connection into your house and you can only use one unless you have several lines coming into your house (which is highly unlikely unless you are a business). Most routers can effectively handle at least 5 - 10 devices (depending on the router).

KeysUnlocked » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm

You shouldn't ever need more than 1 router, unless you have qualities of phones and computers like joe, but... If you would like to have separate routers, etc. 1 for making money, and the other one so that your able to go online with no lag.

Hope that helps

christophervinn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 pm

I'd say general rule is about 5/10 devices pure router. Just make sure they are in the same room as the router. When passing ten, connect another cheap router to your first, and shoot any additional devices to the second one.

Also, I took Joe's advice from lurking this forum a few weeks ago and upgraded my Ethernet cables.. and WOW, huge difference in performance.

Tekprincezz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:02 pm

I saw on the tech slugs video that if you get up to 14 devices it will start having problems and that's when you add another router to extended further.

KeysUnlocked » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm

I saw on the tech slugs video that if you get up to 14 devices it will start having problems and that's when you add another router to extended further.
It depends what kind of router you have, joe has the cheapest one for his provider, so probably for the next one up you can do 35 or so.