Post tips & tricks to maximize & optimize earnings.

Gauging internet connection capacity?

BlueBadger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 am

Sorry if this isn't the best section for this. Not really sure where this kind of question should go.

Basically, is there any way to tell how much of a load a router/connection would be able to handle? I'm not able to do any upgrades to anything internet-related for the time being and I'd like to make sure I don't expand my devices/activity beyond what I'd actually be able to use.

If anyone has a guide or more information on the networking side of all this, that'd be awesome.

Fly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:07 am

Speedtest.net, report back and tell us your speeds and we can tell you more information on what you are able to do.

BlueBadger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks for the resource! It's showing about 34 download, 5.5 upload.

PaddiM8 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:58 am

SpeedTest.net is good, but there is a lot better. From what I've seen, it isn't accurate! Or, probably depends on where you live.
I live in Sweden, and the Swedish version is a lot more accurate, it was actually more accurate for my server in France too!
You should try this too, and see which one gives you the best result.
[link]http://bredbandskollen.se[/link], I know some text is in Swedish, but from what I've seen, much text is actually in English. Even for me!

SimonRumaldo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Sorry if this isn't the best section for this. Not really sure where this kind of question should go.

Basically, is there any way to tell how much of a load a router/connection would be able to handle? I'm not able to do any upgrades to anything internet-related for the time being and I'd like to make sure I don't expand my devices/activity beyond what I'd actually be able to use.

If anyone has a guide or more information on the networking side of all this, that'd be awesome.
Depending on what type of router because I have a netgear router and it tells me how much it handles

Fly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the resource! It's showing about 34 download, 5.5 upload.
That is pretty decent internet, from what I assume you will be able to do everything perfectly fine! 34 download should give you plenty to watch movies and play games while you are making money on your devices without any problem what so ever, just out of curiosity, who is your internet provider?

punkshoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:21 pm

You guys are talking about SpeedTest and ISP speeds but another important point is wireless AP capabilities. You might have 75Mbps but if you're using a single 2.4Ghz 802.11n AP for 20+ phones you're going to start seeing alot of spinners and connectivity issues. Sadly that's just how wireless tech works. When running ~25 phones on various apps and 4 PCs with PC-based money making apps I noticed my peak at times in terms of ISP bandwidth was upwards of 20Mbps. On average its about 5Mbps. You're not constantly streaming. You see these peaks when a slew of devices reach out at once to pull and ad or info for an app. With about 50 wireless devices and 8 PCs I see a peak of around 50Mbps these days. If you're going all out I recommend getting a decent plan with at least 75Mbps down. Sadly if you're using cable your upload speeds are going to be your boon so you may need to go with a 300Mbps down plan to get a decent up.

BlueBadger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:03 pm

That is pretty decent internet, from what I assume you will be able to do everything perfectly fine! 34 download should give you plenty to watch movies and play games while you are making money on your devices without any problem what so ever, just out of curiosity, who is your internet provider?
Time Warner.

I have been experiencing a lot of lag, though. "Spinners" as punkshoo mentioned and noticeable slow-down for any non-money-making activities. And that's with only five or six devices and one or two computers running at the same time, so I don't know what the problem is if that should seem like a decent connection. :?

Fly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:08 pm

Time Warner.

I have been experiencing a lot of lag, though. "Spinners" as punkshoo mentioned and noticeable slow-down for any non-money-making activities. And that's with only five or six devices and one or two computers running at the same time, so I don't know what the problem is if that should seem like a decent connection. :?
Time warner is usually pretty good, maybe you should try to buy some wifi boosters if you are far away from the router?

BlueBadger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Time warner is usually pretty good, maybe you should try to buy some wifi boosters if you are far away from the router?
I actually keep my devices in the same room with the router. The router does seem to run really hot though, so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?