Share organization tips to keep money making neat.

My Laptop Farm Setup

jaredk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:03 am

Figured I would post pics of my laptop farm that I made a few months ago and have had working with minimal hiccups.

Free to answer any questions if anyone wants to know. The cost and time of building it was relatively low compared to what an actual rack would cost.

Last edited by jaredk on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:52 pm

For how many laptops is it for?

Thebeermoneyman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 pm

What kind of laptops are you using? I'm guessing they are either headless or some type of windows tablet. Any problems with over heating?

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:08 am

What kind of laptops are you using? I'm guessing they are either headless or some type of windows tablet. Any problems with over heating?
There are a lot of fans so I doubt it.

abneric » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:48 am

Interesting, does anyone else have computer farm designs? I just leave mine open

jaredk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:07 am

I built it with 12 slots in mind. Since I don't have any cord management yet and the power bricks need a home I only have 10 usable slots. I have it setup with 8 laptops currently.

jaredk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:09 am

Older windows laptops that I got for cheap. Remote sessions via VNC. 2 of the 8 have broken screens so work well for this purpose instead of throwing them out.

I would max this thing out and build another one but having issues with 25+ devices on my router.

jaredk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:10 am

There are a lot of fans so I doubt it.
Yeah the fans help keep the temperature down. Plus the ambient temp in my basement is cool enough too.

jaredk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:22 am

Here's an updated picture showing how it is now with all 8 laptops running. Because I'm the paranoid type I went ahead and wired up all 8 fans (4 on each side). All 8 are running at full throttle.

Far right white box is a remote temp and humidity sensor.

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:20 pm

I built it with 12 slots in mind. Since I don't have any cord management yet and the power bricks need a home I only have 10 usable slots. I have it setup with 8 laptops currently.
8 Laptops !!! Which ones?

abneric » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Might be stupid but how are these running closed?

abneric » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Got any videos? I really wanna see the full thing .

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:35 pm

What do you mean closed?

abneric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 pm

What do you mean closed?
Are the laptops open while running?

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:15 pm

What do you mean closed?
Then how else would it run lol

abneric » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 am

What do you mean closed?
Picture shows them closed, I wanna see a running pic

jaredk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:40 am

An assortment really. Nothing special. Got a few HPs, Dells, etc. I've gone through and changed all the power settings. Low screen brightness, display never times out & screen stays on when lid is closed. Also set them up with tightvnc viewer.

jaredk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:42 am

What do you mean closed?
These run with when they are shut. I've gone through the trouble of setting them up to not power down when the screen is shut.

jaredk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 am

Picture shows them closed, I wanna see a running pic
They are running.... The last picture I posted is of all 8 laptops fully making money. Laptops can still operate when the lid is closed. You just have to configure them not to power down or go into sleep mode when you close them.

jaredk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Got any videos? I really wanna see the full thing .
Yeah. Just shot one real quick. Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/faexii1gdjh94 ... 4.mp4?dl=0

abneric » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:35 pm

These run with when they are shut. I've gone through the trouble of setting them up to not power down when the screen is shut.
any idea how to do this with a chromebook

jaredk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Quick google search brings this up :: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-best-way ... leep-mode/

Should do what you need.

TheMoneyMakingMaster » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Quick google search brings this up :: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-best-way ... leep-mode/

Should do what you need.
Thanks

abneric » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:35 pm

thanks

VNOM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 am

To answer those asking how laptops can run closed. There should be an optionin your power settings that asks "what to do if I close lid" set this to "do nothing" voila running closed laptops